Sunday, April 4, 2010

Discussion Board Topic One

Topic #2: Tech in your workplace: How has your workplace kept up with tech or not kept up with tech? What kinds of tech things have you bought to use in your classroom/presentation?

What I found to work in my district was to become head of my middle school’s tech committee and then end up on the school-wide tech committee. That has allowed me to be a part of the discussion and lead others into what was and is needed. The fun thing about being the head of the committee was that when it came to our schools spending money on tech the teachers in the middle school followed what I showed them and our middle school took the lead on the elementary and high school. The elementary has never found the leadership and our high school keeps mimicking what we’ve done in the middle school. Unfortunately, being in Michigan, we are now hurting greatly for money and updates to our equipment aren’t looking very good. The one good thing is I’m still on the committees and have the pulse of what’s possible in our school district.
As to what we bought we outfitted every teacher in the middle school with projectors and a document camera. We also got new Macs at the time for every teacher and outfitted 3 rooms with a mini lab of macs. We also put mini labs of thin clients into 7 of our teachers rooms so 10 of our teachers have 9-10 computers in their rooms.

2 comments:

Roxy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Mark,
I agree it is a “best practice” to check that you have everything you need before the class begins. This sounds easy, but in my case it isn’t as easy as it sounds. I think if I had my own classroom, it would be, since I would be in control of my assets. Unfortunately, I have to go into the classrooms of four other teachers, and must depend on their treatment of their assets, which doesn’t always match my standards.