Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 3- blog 1 Art of Possibilities

In chapter 7 headed “The Way Things Are” They make a very good point about the danger of the down word spiral in thoughts and conversations about any subject. The interesting thing is that we then justify our beliefs that they are realistic, when in reality we miss the possibilities.
In connecting this to education I can see where at times I get on the negative side of where things aren’t going. It can be very frustrating to know what the research says and yet look around and see all the wrong things being done. My other frustration is even when things are changing I feel it’s moving to slow. I should look on the positive that at least things are changing which allow for more possibilities.

What is my passion? Do I let it flow through me leading others into it? These are questions I ask myself. I know at times I get on my soapbox, as I call, it when it comes to changing education around me. Being a one buttocks player, as chapter 8 talks about. I understand this as a singer, that you can sing it technically, or let the emotion of the song flow out of you. So how can that be translated in to what we do in the educational field. Imagine getting students excited about learning because they see it in you. We’ve been challenged at Full Sail so often that we are the movers and shakers. I need to let it flow though me to others. That’s the challenge.

To conclude my blog on this weeks chapters 7-9 I sit speechless. I had tears in my eyes as I read the story of Anthony and all the kids of that school and their response.
As he says, that spark is everywhere. We need to just find it.

1 comment:

cgempp said...

Mark, this book speaks to me as well. I really enjoy the way it is written and the stories it tells. This program has also sparked my passion in teaching, but it also is a little overwhelming . We have learned so much so fast that is it hard to keep up. Every time we learn about something new I think of a hundred ways to use it, but we only have time to do the one assignment required then we have to move onto the next. I am excited for the summer and the next year so I will be able to implement all, well probably not all, of the ideas I have had throughout this program.